Давайте во вторник попробуем разыграть диалоги. Вот вам наборы фраз к различным ситуациям: в аптеке, при посещении доктора, в такси.
At the pharmacy
– Hi, how may I help you?
– Hi there, I’d like to pick up a prescription.
– Alright, give me the doctor’s note.
– Here it is.
– Alright, one moment please.
– Also, there’s something else I wanted.
– Alright, what do you need?
– Do you have any anti-itch medication?
– What kind of itch is it?
– It’s itches due to bug bites.
– Oh, okay. There’s some down the third aisle.
– Alright. What does it look like?
– Well, there are many brands. Some can be used for more than just bug bites.
– Cool, thank you!
– I’ll have your prescription drugs ready shortly.
– Thanks! Hm, my daughter hurt her wrist the other day. Maybe I should get a brace for it.
– There are some bandages and braces over there, if you’d like to take a look.
– Okay, I think I will. The pharmacy sure has a lot of helpful things.
– Yes, it does. Do you own an emergency first aid kit?
– No, I don’t. Should I get one?
– Yes, you should. They’re extremely helpful. In fact, let me get one for you from the back.
– Perfect, thanks! I wonder if I need anything else…
– Well, if you need anything, you can always come in and ask.
– Alright, thanks. Is my prescription ready?
– Yeah, here it is. You’re all set!
– Alright, thank you!
– Have a nice day!
At the doctor’s office
Patient: Good afternoon.
Doctor: Good afternoon. Have a seat. So, what have you come in for today?
Patient: Thank you. I’m feeling ill, I’ve got quite a bad cough, but I don’t seem to have a fever.
Doctor: I see. How long have you had these symptoms?
Patient: Oh, I’ve had the cough for two weeks, but feeling ill just these past few days.
Doctor: Are you having any other problems?
Patient: Well, I’ve got a headache. I’ve also had a little bit of diarrhea.
Doctor: Do you produce any phlegm when coughing?
Patient: Sometimes, but it’s usually pretty dry.
Doctor: Do you smoke?
Patient: Yes, a few cigarettes a day. Certainly no more than a half a pack a day.
Doctor: How about allergies? Do you have any allergies?
Patient: Not that I’m aware of.
Doctor: Does your head feel stuffy?
Patient: Yes, for the past few days.
Doctor: OK. Now let’s have a look. Could you please open your mouth and say ‘ah’?
In a cab
- Hi / Hello
- Good morning
- Good afternoon
- Good evening
- How are you today?
- Hi. I can take 4 passengers.
- Where can I take you?
- Where are you going?
- What’s your destination?
- I don’t know that place. Do you have a map?
- Can you show me on this map?
- Are you in a hurry?
- It is very close.
- It is pretty far away.
- It will take about 15 minutes.
- It takes about one hour to get there.
- It is faster to take the expressway but you have to pay the toll.
Understanding the passenger
- Speak slowly, please.
- Sorry, I don’t understand.
- Yes, I understand. I’ll take you there.
- Please ask someone to write it in Thai / Chinese / etc.
- No problem.
Special instructions / requests
- I’ll put your luggage in the boot / trunk.
- Put on your seat belt, please.
- Is it okay if I open a window?
- Is the air-conditioning okay?
- Please don’t eat in the car.
- No smoking, please.
- Do you want me to wait?
- I have to get some gas.
- It’s rush hour.
- There’s a traffic jam.
- The traffic is bad over there. You’ll get there faster if you walk from here.
- I think there’s been an accident.
- I’ll try a different way.
Fare and fees
- The total price is $10.
- Thank you for the tip.
- Do you have smaller notes/bills?
- I don’t have any change.
- The customer pays for the expressway, OK?
- You in a hurry? Take the expressway?
- There is a tollway fee. You pay the fee, ok?
- Watch out for motorcycles before getting out!
- Don’t forget your things.
- Thank you for your business.
- Hope to see you again.
- It’s been nice chatting with you.
- Enjoy your stay in Thailand / China / etc.
- You’re welcome.
- Sorry, that is out of my boundaries.
- I can’t go there. I would have to come back without a fare.
- Sorry, I don’t go to the airport.
- I’m all done for the day / night.
- I have to return the car on time.
- My car needs servicing.
- I’m sorry. Have a nice day.
- I can call another driver / company for you.
- Have you been here before?
- Are you from around here?
- How do you like Bangkok / Beijing / etc?
- Are you here on business?
- Are you staying long?
- Good weather, huh? Not too hot, not too cold.
- I hope the weather gets better for you.
Things a passenger could say
- Can I get a ride?
- How many people can you fit?
- How long will it take?
- Please wait for me.
- You can keep the meter running.
- Do you have a flat fee to the airport?
- I’m in a bit of a rush.
- Can we get there by 10 o’clock / noon / 4pm / etc?
- Could you slow down, please?
- Is this the quickest way?
- Do you take credit cards?
- Do you have change?
- Keep the change.
- Thanks for the ride / lift.
- passenger: person travelling in car, bus, train (not the driver)
- destination: place where you want to go
- map: diagram or picture showing streets and roads
- in a hurry: rushed; need to go fast
- expressway / motorway: fast road
- tollway: fast road with fee
- toll: charge; fee
- boot / trunk: box at back of car for luggage, cases etc
- seat belt: strap to hold somebody in their seat in a car or airplane
- accident: crash; a car hitting another car or a person
- fee: price; charge
- note/bill: paper money
- boundaries: limits
- fare: price for taxi; passenger
- flat fee: fixed price
- in a rush: in a hurrry; late; want to go fast
Read this conversation between a taxi driver and passenger. Then do the test to check your understanding.
|Taxi driver||Hi. Where are you going?|
|Passenger||To the train station, please.|
|Taxi driver||Shall I put your bag in the trunk?|
|Passenger||No thanks. I’ll keep it with me. How long will it take to the station?|
|Taxi driver||About 30 minutes. Are you in a hurry?|
|Passenger||Yes, I’m a bit late.|
|Taxi driver||We can take the expressway. There’s an extra charge, okay?|
|Passenger||That’s okay, thanks.|
|Taxi driver||Fasten your seatbelt, please.|
|Taxi driver||Here’s the expressway. Can I have $3 for the fee?|
|Passenger||Here you are.|
|Taxi driver||Are you catching a train at the station?|
|Passenger||Yes, I’m going to the beach to meet some friends.|
|Taxi driver||Okay. Here is the station.|
|Passenger||Thank you. How much is it?|
|Passenger||Here’s $60. Keep the change.|
|Taxi driver||Thanks. Don’t forget your things.|
|Passenger||Okay. Bye. Have a good day!|